'The Response' by Sir William Goscombe
John. Unveiled by the Prince of Wales in 1923; restored and
rededicated, 2007. Bronze figures in high relief on a rusticated
granite screen, in the grounds of St Thomas's Church,
Newcastle-upon-Tyne. It was commissioned by Sir George and Lady
Renwick to commemorate the raising of several companies of
Northumberland Fusiliers, and the safe return of the Renwicks' five
sons from the Great War.
The sculpture depicts men leaving their
families and factories to respond to the call to arms at the
outbreak of WW1.
On the reverse side, St
George standing on two seahorses with linked tails (a feature taken
from the city's coat-of-arms), a seventeenth-century militia man
with the date 1674 below him, and a Northumberland fusilier with the
date 1919 below him.