Home St. Leonard's Medieval Hospital
in Northumberland Park
Next

One of two stone coffins  at the North-West entrance to Northumberland Park - North Shields

Coffin
Gravestone

LINK

The stone coffins are on the site of a medieval hospital for lepers - hence 'Spittle or 'Spittal Dene' (the name of the dene that separates the park from the golf-course). The ground was also used intermittently as a burial place before Christ Church was built  in 1668, instead of, or additional to, Tynemouth Priory. Used occasionally during the Civil War. The site was excavated in 2014.