R. & W. Hawthorn Leslie and Company, Limited, usually referred
to as Hawthorn Leslie,
was a St Peter's, Newcastle upon Tyne shipbuilding and locomotive manufacturer
formed by the merger of the shipbuilder A. Leslie and Company
and the locomotive works of R and W Hawthorn in 1870.
The shipyard was based at Hebburn and Andrew Leslie recruited many Scottish workers from his home town of Aberdeen.